axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Susantha Kumara" <susan...@opensource.lk>
Subject Memory management issues with Axis C++ and CAX-RPC :)
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:44:43 GMT
Hi all,

As you know in C and C++ we have to manage memory our selves. For web services frameworks
written in java most of the rules (specifications) are in JAX-RPC. But for C++ there is no
such an specification drawn. So I think as opensource developers of C/C++ web service framework
we have to come up with such an specification for C/C++. Other than the similar specifications
in JAX-RPC in this CAX-RPC :) we have to have specification for memory management.

In this context what I mean by memory mangement is related to serialization and deserialization.

For an example in Axis C++ now, the Deserializer creates and populates the objects and passes
to the web service and its the responsibility of the web service to delete them.

In Axis C++ we use the same Serialization/Deserialization code for both server side and the
client side.

IMO we have to have set of specifications for memory management at both client side and the
server side.

What we have thought of at the moment is as follows,

Client Application<--->ClientAxisEngine<---transport--->ServerAxisEngine<--->Server
Application(web service).

For the client-side,
*Objects for serialization (outbound message) are created and deleted (or freeed) by the client
applicaton.
*Objects for deserialization (inbound message) may be created by both client application and
the ClientAxisEngine. But deleted (or freeed) by client application.

For the server side,
*Objects for serialization (outbound message) are created by the web service (server application)
and deleted by the ServerAxisEngine.
*Objects for deserialization (inbound message) are created by ServerAxisEngine and deleted
by the web service (server application).

please put on your C/C++ hats and help us to take the correct decision.

we are looking forward for your support in this and is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Susantha.