axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Jordahl <t...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: WSDL2Java code generation req'ts
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:15:48 GMT
Eric,

I think we have always wanted to support as much of XML Schema as we can.  The JAX-RPC list
is a bare minimum and certainly we support more than that.

+1 to replacing the Schema parser in WSDL2Java.
+50 to adding support for more(all?) schema types in 1.2.

JAX-RPC is going to synchronize with JAXB at some point and get out of the business of parsing
XSD and mapping to Java. The problem is that they (and we) need to go both ways Java->XSD
and XSD->Java.  1+ years ago, JAXB wasn't done with a single direction.  It would be awesome
to throw out 99% of our code and just use a jar file to do this work. :-)

I am confused about what validation (and when) you want to do.  Could you clarify that?

Does using Xerces mean we will have a hard dependancy on it, or is the Schema stuff in a different
jar file?

--
Tom Jordahl

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric.D.Friedman@wellsfargo.com
To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Sent: 8/14/2003 1:05 PM
Subject: WSDL2Java code generation req'ts

Can someone please tell me what level of support WSDL2Java is required
have vis-a-vis XML schema?  Is it *just* what's described in the JAX-RPC
spec?  Do we want to tackle some/any/all of what's in the JAXB spec, or
is
that entirely out of scope?

I am asking as a follow-up to the recent discussion about the
performance of
WSDL2Java.  As I mentioned in that thread, I believe it's possible to
get
dramatically better performance using the schema parser in Xerces.
Indeed,
I know it's possible, as I've hacked together a working prototype to
generate java beans from complex types and it's a lot faster than
wsdl2java.

So, the question before you is what's the minimum level of schema
support
WSDL2Java is required to have?  Clearly JAX-RPC is included, but is that
it?
Or do we want to (need to) add support for xs:choice, substitution
groups,
and so forth?

Some nice-to-haves that I can think of are: (1) some degree of
validation
support; (2) transfer <xs:annotation> elements to the javadoc for the
corresponding types/instance variables.

Thanks,
Eric