axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Kellogg, Richard" <RKell...@MICROS.COM>
Subject RE: What do I need to build/test?
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 19:18:34 GMT
Steve,

I took a look at Maven about six months ago.  The promise is great but it is not as sophisticated
as ANT.  In general, it is only appropriate for tasks as simple as grab source, get associated
jars, compile, build new jar.  This fits in nicely with the Commons project but not really
for our use.  We have just too many legitimate targets.

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Loughran [mailto:steve_l@iseran.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 3:14 PM
To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: What do I need to build/test?

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> "Tom Jordahl" <tomj@macromedia.com> writes:
>
>>We have avoided checking in some jar files to our tree to prevent version
>>lock or skew.  If you drop (most of?) these jars in xml-axis/lib, they
>>will get picked up automatically by the ant scripts.  I wouldn't be
>>opposed to checking in copies of stuff to the tree, but its unclear
>>if we can distribute Sun stuff (activation, mail, etc) per the license.
>

> +1 for creating a "buildlib" directory into which all these jars are
> committed. Not for distribution at all, but for simplified building.
>
> Also, +1 for committing the optional stuff too.

I'm all for making it easy to get the stuff in, but once you put it in
CVS you have to worry about (a) the gump and (b) keeping it all up to date.

ultimately java needs the CJAN equivalent of CPAN; Both Maven and
Khrysalis projects are trying to do better auto-fetch of components
needed for a build. Maybe we should look at them...