axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Kellogg, Richard" <RKell...@MICROS.COM>
Subject RE: soapmeter (a tcpmonitor spin-off)
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:53:52 GMT
Eric,

I took a quick look last night.  It looks pretty neat.  In fact, I added a link to it from
the Wiki (http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AxisProjectPages/MonitorSOAPTraffic).
 Unfortunately, it has a dependency on JDK 1.4.1.  Axis only requires 1.3.x.  As such it might
be a spin off project or something for the incubator if there is enough interest.  At this
point, TCPMON works just fine for my needs.

Take care,
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Kow [mailto:fzapsrcf001@sneakemail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 5:17 AM
To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: soapmeter (a tcpmonitor spin-off)

Hi list,

Doug Davis wrote:
> monitor instead of a tcpip monitor) - I do, however, like the idea of
> adding plug-points where things like what you've developed can be
> optionally plugged in.  But that's just me.

This might not be exactly what you had in mind, but the Soapmeter uses
events and listeners.  For example, instead of replacing the Tcpmon
user interface, i turned it into a listener for ConnectionEvent.  Then
i created an alternate listener (SoapmeterPage as opposed to
ClassicTcpmonPage) and dropped it into place.  Different plugs could
then be implemented as different listeners.  What do you think?

> One of the things I like about tcpmon is that its simple - it doesn't try
> to do too much.  All its supposed to do, at its core, is just watch tcpip
> traffic.  So when people want to extend it to do more than that I get
> worried.

Aye, tcpmon is a simple tool and does its job well, so my question is
*not* if we should replace tcpmon or force it to do more stuff.
Rather, i wanted to see if any of the Axis folk had interest in a
unified standalone debugging tool that does cool stuff (e.g.
visualisation).  One potential argument for standalone is that is
becomes useful for all SOAP implementations, not just Axis.

If i can generate no such interest, my alternate question is if you
think that Soapmeter could be an adequate starting point for
implementing plug points a la Doug?

Best,

--eric

P.S. I'm sure i got the events/listeners stuff wrong, but i think
     it is a useful idea even if my implementation of it may not
     have been perfect.  Why not take a quick look at the source?