axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Lilantha Darshana <Lilan...@virtusa.com>
Subject RE: C++ commits
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 11:16:59 GMT
Steve Loughran wrote:

>damitha@opensource.lk wrote:
>

>>>On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:02:56 -0700, Steve Loughran wrote
>>

>>>     <cc debug="${build.debug}"
>>>         outtype="executable"
>>>         objdir="${obj.dir}"
>>>        multithreaded="true"
>>>         incremental="true"
>>>       exceptions="true"
>>>
>>>         runtime="static"
>>>
>>>         subsystem="gui"
>>>        >
>>>         <defineset refid="core-defines"/>
>>>        <compiler refid="studio" >
>>>             <precompile prototype="${stdafx.cpp}"/>
>>>        </compiler>
>>>         <!-- C++ source -->
>>>         <fileset dir="${src.dir}"
>>>           includes="*.cpp"/>
>>>         <includepath location="${IDL.dist.dir}" />
>>>     </cc>
>>>

>> The above ant build seems very attractive.
>> In Microsoft compiler cl, options for multithreading is /ML and for
exceptions
>> /GX. But how does the above multithreaded="true" and exceptions="true"
map to
>> the VC compiler options?

>Magic. Or more likely the per-compiler adapter classes in the JAR.

>TW, there is >1 exception option in MSVC, such as /EHsc and /EHa ... I
>ont know which one they use

mmm.., what if these adapters are not defined for a given compiler???
For an example for Watcom C++ compiler! this is not gonna work, right.
see http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/cc.html

I guess <cc> task is still in its 0.3 Alpha version. So, probably we
may end up with fixing bugs in that, without building the C++ project.
(may be I'm wrong)

But if you use automake, autoconf etc. The configuration script does
the job for you! on Unix platforms, it looks for an existing compiler
in the platform and further even it looks for library compatibility,
include file compatibility, versions & so on.... and it creates Makefiles,
config.h etc, based on these conditions. So using autotool on Unix is
preferable until a stable Ant version is provided for <cc> task

see for an example how xerces-c is building on Unix!
http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/build-winunix.html#UNIX

Hence, I prefer makefiles rather than Ant <cc> task for C++ projects,
until Ant is capable of handling all of the things that autotools can.

And we can use compiler IDE specific project files to build for
Win32 etc. (like MSVC project file *.dsp or you can use nmake for VC etc)

Thanks
Lilantha.