axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: C++ commits
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:45:05 GMT
Lilantha Darshana wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:02:56 -0700, Steve Loughran wrote

> To add an Ant build file, the effort would be of identifying all
> the dependencies! that of using makefile etc.!!
> Because, Ant is not widely used to build C/C++ projects, having an Ant
> build file is optional, I guess. since makefile does that task very well.

true, makefile is prevalent in the C++ world, but I would argue for
historical reasons. CppUnit isnt very prevalent in the C++ world either,
yet it is very useful.

The troubles with make are

(a) complexity of makefiles, need to state dependencies, etc etc.

(b) when you say 'make' you really mean 'an implementation of make and
the underlying platform'; GNU make and the GNU toolchain are needed for
a decent process.

The <cc> task does dependencies for you, really. From my own code, the
compile task:

     <cc debug="${build.debug}"
         outtype="executable"
         objdir="${obj.dir}"
         multithreaded="true"
         incremental="true"
         exceptions="true"

         runtime="static"

         subsystem="gui"

         <defineset refid="core-defines"/>
         <compiler refid="studio" >
             <precompile prototype="${stdafx.cpp}"/>
         </compiler>
         <!-- C++ source -->
         <fileset dir="${src.dir}"
           includes="*.cpp"/>
         <includepath location="${IDL.dist.dir}" />
     </cc>