axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Anne Thomas Manes" <a...@manes.net>
Subject Re: Very basic Questions
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:55:01 GMT
Niket,

1.) The WSDL file describes the Web service from a client's point of view.
It defines what the service does (the interface and the format of the input
and output messages), how to use it (the bindings and protocols that should
be used to contruct messages), and where to find it (the location of the
service). You aren't required to create a WSDL file for your service, but if
you don't, then clients don't have the information they need to figure out
how to use the service. Any client application, written in any language can
use the WSDL to generate a SOAP communication routine. WSDL is a standard
supported by most SOAP tools.

The wsdd file describes the Web service to the service container. It tells
the service container how to process requests -- what class to invoke, what
serialization routines to use, what header processors to use, etc. wsdd is
not a standard. It is proprietary to the specific SOAP container.

2.) WSDL2Java is a WSDL compiler tool. It can generate SOAP communication
routines for a client program, and it can generate a server skeleton if you
like (assuming that you start your service development from WSDL rather than
code). Most SOAP implementations provide some type of WSDL compiler for this
purpose. If you are building a service from code you don't need to use
WSDL2Java.

3.) You cannot deploy a service without a deployment descriptor. The service
container needs the deployment descriptor to tell it how to process
requests.

Best regards,
Anne