axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <...@envoisolutions.com>
Subject Re: Axis Build System - Possible conversion to Maven
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2003 04:20:49 GMT
Maybe you are right, maybe you are not.  I am honestly just trying to help, but
if the Axis team does not want this kind of help I will step aside no problem.
I appreciate you listening though.  Like I said previously, I will probably use
Maven to do my builds.  I also think it makes some general sense to split up the
  component builds from the main code too.  You are the committer!  I am not!
Cheers,

- Dan

Tom Jordahl wrote:
> Dan,
>
> I think you are *way* overstating how hard it is to build axis.  And using this as an
excuse for not helping fix/enhance the code is just lame.

> Step 0 - get the jar files that are required
> Step 1 - run 'ant' from the top level
> Step 2 (Optional) - run 'ant all-tests' to build and run the tests.
>
> The reason we have lots of build files is so each of the functional tests can be compiled
and executed independently.  This was a requirement on the work done to revamp the test framework,
as before we built the whole thing in a glob, and ran them all.  We found out that the new
way works great for debugging a single test (as we hoped), but slowed the build/run time *way*
down.  Hindsight is 20/20.

> In any case, I appreciate your volunteering to help.  But as I said before, we need smart
people to help on the CODE very badly.  We need a new build system like we need a WSDL2Fortran
plug-in.

--
Dan Diephouse
http://junktoast.com