axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <...@envoisolutions.com>
Subject Re: Axis Build System - Possible conversion to Maven
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 21:32:10 GMT
Sorry, my message got cut off for some reason.. Here it is again:

I can see I need to explain about Maven a bit more .

I understand your worries about converting to maven.  You said:

"introducing yet another technology needed to build Axis is not something I
believe we need to do at this time."

This is exactly my point!!!  Maven takes care of all these technologies for
you!!!  It will be the only technology you need once the build conversion is
through.  It automatically takes care of and downloads the dependencies.  All
you need to do is tell maven what dependencies there are in your project file
like so:

   <dependencies>

     <dependency>
       <id>log4j</id>
       <version>1.2.6</version>
     </dependency>

     <dependency>
       <id>jaf:activation</id>
       <version>1.0.2</version>
     </dependency>

     <dependency>
       <id>servletapi</id>
       <version>2.3</version>
     </dependency>

</dependencies>

It is so amazingly simple.  I spent several hours trying to get axis to build
and converted Axis to use Maven in 15 minutes (not with all the tests yet, mind
you) - and I am by no means a Maven expert.  It is very, very simple.

The point is I can't contribute to what you, other developers, and the xml
community need until I can get a handle on the project.  For example - you have
more than 114 ant build files!!!  This is insane!

I know what your bug list is.  The same bugs bother me.  However, I have
considered doing my own SOAP implementation because Axis is so hard to work
with.  I can't fix these things until the build becomes manageable.

Maven has just been approved as a top level apache project.  It will hit 1.0
very soon now, and I think between 1.1 and 1.2 release it would be an ideal time
to switch.  Please see http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven for information
about maven.  Also, if you want to see how Maven works see a project build, like
Jelly's for example:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/jelly

- Dan

Tom Jordahl wrote:

 > I am not in favor of converting Axis to Maven (or any other new tool).
 >
 > I know and understand (to some small extent) ant, as many Java developers do,
and introducing yet another technology needed to build Axis is not something I
believe we need to do at this time.  In particular, I have only barely heard of
Maven, much less know anything about how to use it.  I am sure it is a wonderful
tool.  But I would guess ant is much more widely used.

 > The directory structure and build system that is in place is the result of
previous attempt to 'simplify and improve' our system that was in place before
this one.

 > If you would like to help the Axis project, we would welcome any help with
our current bug list.  In particular there are various XML Schema types that we
still don't deal with properly in WSDL2Java, and many folks have made noise
about replacing our Schema parser with something better.  Jumping in to
contribute to a project like this would really push Axis forward.

 > Thanks.
 >
 > --
 > Tom Jordahl
 > Macromedia Server Development

ant build system.  It is very complicated as I'm sure you all know.  I would
like to "
 > propose that the Axis project move to Maven for the following reasons:
 >
 > 1. Building axis from day to day becomes much easier.  Dependencies are taken
care of automatically by Maven.

 > 2. It is *very* easy to create a release, and then deploy a new version of
the website.  No more linking to docs in CVS.  To deploy a new version of the
website you just do: "maven site:deploy".  That is really all there is too it.

 > 3. It will increase the number of people who are able to contribute to the
Axis project.

 > 4. Decreased maintenance of the build.xml file(s)
 >
 > 5. A coherent directory structure.  Right now the directory structure is
awful.   It doesn't work an IDE like Eclipse at all.  For example: the main code
is in src/java/package.name.here - however the tests are in
src/package.name.here. The tests should be in src/test/package.name.here.....

 > 6. A better looking website.
 >
 > Anyway, I will volunteer to:
 >
 > 1. Convert the main build to maven.
 >
 > 2. Create component builds for the components that are deemed not necessary
for inclusion in the main build (jms, image, net)

 > 3. Convert the existing documentation to XDocs.  This will create a nice axis
web site for once.

 > 4. Help anyone who needs helping getting familiar with maven.
 >
 > I have a working version that compiles all the main code, but am only part
way converting the tests.  Since there are so many tests and a lot of them need
work to convert to maven, I would like some input before I convert the build.
Thoughts, questions?

--
Dan Diephouse
http://junktoast.com