axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <...@envoisolutions.com>
Subject Axis Build System - Possible conversion to Maven
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2003 21:00:20 GMT
Since I have started working with Axis I have nothing but problems with the ant
build system.  It is very complicated as I'm sure you all know.  I would like to
propose that the Axis project move to Maven for the following reasons:

1. Building axis from day to day becomes much easier.  Dependencies are taken
care of automatically by Maven.

2. It is *very* easy to create a release, and then deploy a new version of the
website.  No more linking to docs in CVS.  To deploy a new version of the
website you just do: "maven site:deploy".  That is really all there is too it.

3. It will increase the number of people who are able to contribute to the Axis
project.

4. Decreased maintenance of the build.xml file(s)

5. A coherent directory structure.  Right now the directory structure is awful.
  It doesn't work an IDE like Eclipse at all.  For example: the main code is in
src/java/package.name.here - however the tests are in src/package.name.here.
The tests should be in src/test/package.name.here.....

6. A better looking website.

Anyway, I will volunteer to:

1. Convert the main build to maven.

2. Create component builds for the components that are deemed not necessary for
inclusion in the main build (jms, image, net)

3. Convert the existing documentation to XDocs.  This will create a nice axis
web site for once.

4. Help anyone who needs helping getting familiar with maven.

I have a working version that compiles all the main code, but am only part way
converting the tests.  Since there are so many tests and a lot of them need work
to convert to maven, I would like some input before I convert the build.
Thoughts, questions?

Cheers,
- Dan

--