axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Jordahl <t...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: xml-axis/java/docs install.html user-guide.html
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:14:45 GMT

+1
Good stuff Steve!

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia Server Development

-----Original Message-----
From: stevel@apache.org [mailto:stevel@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 6:20 PM
To: xml-axis-cvs@apache.org
Subject: cvs commit: xml-axis/java/docs install.html user-guide.html

stevel      2003/03/19 15:20:26

  Modified:    java/docs install.html user-guide.html
  Log:
  I am moderately concerned about the java competence level of many of the ant-user postings.
While it is good that people new to java are rushing to Apache products, I feel it is important
they know what a ClassNF Exception is, what a 404 error is (we do  need to fix AdminClient
to be more explanatory here :), and generally people should know how to write server side
code before they start writing web services.

  This patch spells out the prerequisite knowledge people need. It does try and scare people,
because some of these people need to know that they cannot learn these things on a big project;
it is like learning crampon, ice axe and glacier skills on a heavily crevassed, high-objective-hazard
alpine peak.

  Also I try and get my retaliation in early on what Axis and SOAP is, and what soap isnt
(RMI over XML).