axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Olejarz, Greg" <Greg.Olej...@Monster.com>
Subject RE: SAAJ and implementation
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:28:39 GMT
Check out

http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/maintenance/jsr067/

which describes the maintenance update to jaxm and saaj. The
update includes dom stuff, I did not however check if the
axis signatures match the new saaj ones.

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Laqua [mailto:Nick.Laqua@newtron.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 5:46 AM
To: axis-user@xml.apache.org; axis-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: SAAJ and implementation

Hi all,

we are implementing our own integration tool which also contains a SOAP
layer for packaging arbitrary messages (no rpc style). The SOAP shall be
encapsulated and knows nothing about the payload within SOAP Body.

During our search we came across SAAJ and the reference implementation by
SUN which seems to address exactly this topic. Unfortunately, we found no
way to add whole xml parts to the SOAP body (for instance by supplying a
org.w3c.dom.Element or an InputStream). It seems that the reference
implementation by SUN and the SAAJ api requires one to construct the payload
element by element.

When looking at the axis examples and the axis source code, we found out
that you have your own SOAPBodyElement implementation
(org.apache.axis.message.SOAPBodyElement) which implements the standard
interface (javax.xml.soap.SOAPBodyElement) but additionally it contains
exactly those methods we desperately need (construction using InputStream or
org.w3c.dom.Element).

So probably we will use Axis for this part, referencing your implementation
directly. But in the long run, this undermines the whole idea of standard
interfaces doesn't it ?

I would be interested to hear what were your opinions and reasons for
extending the "standard" and if you expect SAAJ to be extended in this way
one day.

Cheers,

Nick

"Bringing people together to advance their lives."

NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
intended by TMP Interactive Inc. d/b/a Monster or one of its subsidiaries
for the use of the named individual or entity to which it is addressed and
may contain information that is privileged or otherwise confidential.  It is
not intended for transmission to, or receipt by, any individual or entity
other than the named addressee (or a person authorized to deliver it to the
named addressee) except as otherwise expressly permitted in this electronic
mail transmission. If you have received this electronic transmission in
error, please delete it without copying or forwarding it, and notify the
sender of the error by reply email or by calling Monster at 1-800-MONSTER.