axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: xml-axis/java/src/org/apache/axis/transport/http
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:30:14 GMT
Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Steve,
> My scenario was this...I had a client-handler and a server-handler (both JAXRPC handlers).
> client handler adds some context information in the soap headers and the server handler
has a
> check to ensure that the context is present. If the context was absent handleRequest
on the server
> handler returns false. In this case there was a NPE thrown because there was no response
> I don't think this was due to developer incompetence :)
> Thanks,
> dims

was the NPE happening server side, here? If so the NPE is a regression
introduced in the SOAP1.2 patches:

If you skip around the NPE, you end up with the next problem, to wit the
client doesnt handle it:

I think in your scenario, an exception is the right thing to throw. But
for one-way messages & WS-routing, we do want to be able to return 'no
content' happily.

View raw message