axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From bhims...@WellsFargo.COM
Subject Web Services using XML messaging
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 01:35:54 GMT
    Please let me know if it is possible to specify an optional method
argument in the Web Service.

Here is my problem summary...

1. I have a Web Service that supports a method by name getQuote which
presently takes one argument which is the stock symbol

2. I have numerous clients that use the service to lookup stock quotes. The
communication is via SOAP

3. Say after n number of days the Web Service changes and it now takes an
optional stock-exchange-name as the second argument. I expect the changed
service to be still usable by the old clients with no changes to the client
code i.e., the service should still return the stock quote when the client
message has the method name with the stock symbol argument value. I am
assuming it is possible on the server-side to substitute a default value for
the stock-exchange-name argument.

Summary of present web service
- Method Name: getQuote
- Argument Name: stockSymbol

Summary of web service in future
- Method Name: getQuote
- Argument Name:
   argument1: stockSymbol
   argument2: stockExchangeName (is an optional argument)

Thanks & Regards,
Mahesh Bhimshetty

View raw message