axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Revised Interoperability between Axis 1.1 Beta and Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 FAQ
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 17:56:57 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kellogg, Richard" <RKellogg@MICROS.COM>
To: <axis-dev@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 07:53
Subject: RE: Revised Interoperability between Axis 1.1 Beta and Microsoft
.NET Framework 1.0 FAQ

> >       * Typesafe enumerations.  Use static final variables
> > within Java instead.
>
>> You should give an example here.

>See Steve Loughran's interop article for more info. I did not test this
personally.

Simple enums work, its the mult-value enums <enum>a b c</enum> that barf,
'cos axis isnt generating the right proxy code. Plus if you get net to send
an out-of-range value you get <enum>255</enum> over the wire.

> >       * Multi-dimensional and jagged arrays.
>
>> Multi-dimensional arrays work fine AFAIK.

>See Steve Loughran's interop article for more info. I did not test this
personally.

I should look at this again.

> >       * The Java char datatype is not supported because of an
> > omission in XML Schema.
> >       * Avoid using the same method name multiple times with
> > varying parameters on a web service.
> >
> > Q: How does one go about transmitting attachments between
> > Java and the Microsoft .NET 1.0 Framework?
> > A: The basic .NET Framework 1.0 does not provide any support
> > for attachments.
> >
> >    The recent Microsoft Web Services Enhancements (WSE) 1.0
> > does add support for DIME (Direct Internet Message Encapsulation).
> >    Please note there has been no indication from Microsoft
> > concerning whether WSE will be included in the upcoming .NET
> > Framework 1.1.
> >    As a result, DIME support would require the installation
> > on WSE on client machines.
> >
> >    Axis does support both MIME and DIME attachments.
> >
> > Q: Is it possible to compress a message using something like GZIP?
> > A: Unfortunately at this time no.
>
> This would be better phrased "is there built-in support
> for...".  People are of course welcome to write an Axis
> Handler and a .NET thingy ("filter"?) to do it themselves.

>How about this:

>Q: Is there built in support for compressing messages using something like
GZIP?
>A: Unfortunately at this time no.

>   It does appear that using a technique similar to the following article
something could be worked out:
>Retrieving Data from Web Services using Standard HTTP 1.1 Compression
>http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/tutorials.aspx?tutorialid=304

Of course, .NET doesnt have a .zip library either :(