axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Axis 1.1 Release Candidate 1
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 18:41:34 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "James M Snell" <jasnell@us.ibm.com>
To: <axis-dev@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 09:25
Subject: [VOTE] Axis 1.1 Release Candidate 1

> I'd like to propose that this friday (the 7th) we cut the Axis 1.1 Release
> Candidate 1 and dedicate the rest of the month of February to shoring up
> critical bug fixes and updating documentation (as necessary).

+1.

I also think we need to define what constitutes a critical bug fix that can
get through the lockdown. I propose

A bug is critical if it

(a) is a significant regression; one that breaks existing axis applications.
Example: a web service that worked, now doesnt.

(b) changes the way axis is used/deployed. Such as needing a new jar client
side or server side.

(c) somebody finds that something in axis is fundamentally broken and the
fix is quite simple, like testing for something being null before
dereferencing. (i.e. friday's attachment fix)

To be acceptable, the bug fixes must themselves have a low risk of
introducing other critical bugs into the system. Ideally they make as little
change to the system as possible.

And to clarify what non-critical changes that wont get through are :

(a) interop issues are non-critical. We will always have interop problems.

(b) bugs that are not regressions, wont affect many people and that can be
fixed at our leisure in Axis1.2 .

(c) any new features we feel like slipping in at the last minute

Opinions?