axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Rineholt <rineh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: cleanup of attachment files &c
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:54:51 GMT
My 2 cents :  (Some of this -may- be close to what you are suggesting; it
just  IMO over designed... but I know that is the Axis way)

Create a disposal collection that will dispose all attachment resources
after the service or call completes.  Should be in
  a finally, statement.
 Provide an interface to handlers and targeted services for both removing
and adding attachments to  the disposal list.

 On the Server side automatically add all received attachments to the
disposal list.
 Provide mostly for the client the ability on the call/context to turn off
the automatic disposal since there may be circumstances
    where it may want more control and take charge of the disposal process
and iterate over the list it self.

That's it.

On the client side for the most part there is no real need for this since
it can receive control after the call and can manage the attachment
resources.
On the server side for received attachments, if a fault occurs prior to
the desired recipient receiving the attachment it will be deleted.
Once received it can be removed if it's desired to retain it.  On sending
attachments if the resource is to be  deleted after it is sent the
service can add it to the disposal list.

In any case, provide  the opportunity to persist attachment resources with
out the need to copy them.  I know already
several users that envision sending and receiving giga byte sized
attachments and prefer there NOT be the REQUIRED need to
always copy them.

Rick Rineholt
"The truth is out there...  All you need is a better search engine!"

rineholt@us.ibm.com