axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject [wsif] pref-final announcement Apache WSIF 2.0
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:02:16 GMT
hi,

it is almost ready.

here is proposed announcement we send to announcements@xml.apache.org,
axis-user@xml.apache.org, axis-dev@xml.apache.org,
SOAP@DISCUSS.DEVELOP.COM, soap-user@xml.apache.org, www-ws@w3.org

let me know if we missed something. otherwise we send announcement soon.

thanks,

alek

Apache WSIF 2.0 Released
------------------------

The Apache WSIF (Web Services Invocation Framework) team is proud to
announce
the first open release of Apache WSIF.

WSIF (the "Web Services Invocation Framework") is a WSDL-based API for
invoking WSDL-described services. WSIF developers interact with Web Services
at the abstract level through their WSDL descriptions. This is done
independently of APIs specific to a message format or network protocol
(eg SOAP APIs).

With WSIF, developers work with the same programming model regardless of
how the Web service is implemented and accessed. WSIF achieves this with a
pluggable architecture with protocol-specific "providers" to handle
invocations according to a specific protocol.

Apache WSIF 2.0 comes bundled with providers for SOAP (using Apache SOAP or
Axis), local java classes, EJBs, JMS services and applications accessible
via Java Connectors. WSIF also describes the specific WSDL extensions used
to make these kinds of applications accessible as WSDL-described services.

WSIF allows stubless or completely dynamic invocation of a Web service,
based upon examination of the meta-data about the service at runtime. It
also allows updated implementations of a binding to be plugged into WSIF at
runtime, and it allows the calling service to defer choosing a binding until
runtime.

This is the first release of WSIF since it was contributed to the ASF, and
is named 2.0 to avoid confusion with previous non-Apache licensed 1.x
versions.

For more information about Apache WSIF 2.0, please go to
http://xml.apache.org/axis/wsif

Thanks to all the committers, contributors and usersfor their efforts in
helping get our first release out.

--
"Mr. Pauli, we in the audience are all agreed that your theory is crazy.
What divides us is whether it is crazy enough to be true." Niels H. D. Bohr