axis-java-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Aleksander Slominski <>
Subject [wsif] irc chat log about final release
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:31:48 GMT

this was short chat as first official 2.0 version is almost ready, remaining tasks
* RC4 release Friday (jan 24th) and unless major problems are discovered it is renamed to
* no changes or new tasks until they are absolutely required as we want RC4 to be final
* everybody check current RC4 release (soon final 2.0) and report problems
* write release summary and detailed list of how samples were tested
* test more RC3 on linux and solaris (alek)

next IRC chat is (tentatively) planned for Thursday Jan 30th to talk about what is next to
do after 2.0.



chat log:

[10:06] <nmukhi> We're all here (Jeremy, Ant, Owen, Mark)
[10:06] <nmukhi> Shall we start?
[10:07] <alek_s> i think so
[10:07] <nmukhi> let's wrap this up in 5 minutes, I want tpo eat my sandwich
[10:07] <alek_s> :-)
[10:08] <nmukhi> ok, so the RC3 is up and seems to be ok
[10:08] <nmukhi> the samples (except for JMS on JBoss) work
[10:08] <nmukhi> This morning all of us got together and went thru it, made a list of
minor changes
[10:08] <nmukhi> I checked in minor doc changes, Owen will shortly add WebSphere-setup
docs for the 
J2EE samples
[10:09] <alek_s> i checked code on solaris
[10:09] <nmukhi> cool, solaris ok?
[10:09] <alek_s> and there is small chnage i check in for
[10:09] <nmukhi> great
[10:09] *** antElder ( has joined channel #wsif
[10:10] <nmukhi> We plan to run tests on the RC3 and if everything passes we can cut
the release 
tomorrow, what do you think?
[10:10] <nmukhi> The major condition is that there should be no code change between
the RC3 and the 
final release, if there is we will cut an RC4 and delay the final
[10:11] <alek_s> i would have one more day and RC4 tomorrow
[10:11] <alek_s> and then if it is OK to promote it to 2.0 release (on monday?)
[10:11] <alek_s> that gives more time for testing
[10:12] <nmukhi> true, but we will run the test suite today and that's it
[10:12] <alek_s> we need also write some release notes
[10:12] <nmukhi> we don't plan to test more than that, do you? if not I don't see any
reason to delay 
the release till Monday
[10:13] <nmukhi> yes, we need release notes
[10:13] <alek_s> did you check it on linux too?
[10:13] <nmukhi> no
[10:13] <nmukhi> could you?
[10:13] <alek_s> yes - but that will take a bit of time
[10:13] <nmukhi> ok
[10:14] <alek_s> i wanted also to get JBoss sampel to work ...
[10:14] <nmukhi> that doesn't work prolly because of a JBoss thing (it works on WAS)
[10:15] <nmukhi> If it is an ejb-jar.xml/jboss.xml change I don't mind fixing it
[10:15] <alek_s> what is the error?
[10:15] <nmukhi> but i wouldn't want to touch the MDB code or the client code just to
make JBoss happy 
(at least not right now)
[10:16] <nmukhi> don't know. some kind of connection failure. And the behavior differs
between runs 
(haven't investigated much)
[10:16] <alek_s> i see
[10:16] <nmukhi> have you seen the error?
[10:16] <nmukhi> it is possible it is my env
[10:16] <alek_s> but then we at least need to mention it in docs for this release
[10:17] <nmukhi> true, but i'd like you to first confirm it is a problem (if it my machine
then thereis 
no issue)
[10:17] <alek_s> ok
[10:18] <nmukhi> did you ever run the JMS thing successfully?
[10:18] <alek_s> no
[10:18] <alek_s> i thik i had wrong verion of Jboss downloaded ...
[10:19] <nmukhi> ok...I used 3.0.4 when it worked
[10:19] <alek_s> i have got this verion now
[10:19] <alek_s> and will try it
[10:19] <nmukhi> so if the JBoss run fails and there is no simple (i.e. non code changing)
fix we just 
document it
[10:19] <alek_s> did you run JCA sample?
[10:19] <nmukhi> no
[10:20] <nmukhi> I'm thinking that is prolly tested only on WAS
[10:20] <nmukhi> we should put that in docs I guess
[10:21] <nmukhi> ok so you want to write a list of outstanding tasks before release,
conditions under 
which we do an RC4, etc. to summarise?
[10:21] <alek_s> yes - to make clear what is tested and working
[10:21] *** Hesham (~hfahmy@ has joined channel #wsif
[10:21] <Hesham> Hi all. sorry I'm late.. got snowed in this morning :(
[10:22] <alek_s> i thik all is finished we jsut need to do more testing on more platforms
(i check 
linux) and write down in what setups (WAS, JBoss?) samples work
[10:22] <alek_s> hi Hesh
[10:23] <nmukhi> Hesh I'm in Hursley, sitting here with JEremy and gang
[10:23] <nmukhi> Hesh did you try running the JCA sample under app server other than
[10:24] <Hesham> no. Only WAS 5.0
[10:24] <nmukhi> ok, we can mention that in the docs
[10:25] <alek_s> shoul dwe make a separate 2.0 release document or have it as part of
[10:25] <alek_s> we will need also to prepare -email announcement message with list
of what is in release
[10:25] <nmukhi> I think separate: release notes = changes.html + summary?
[10:26] <nmukhi> can put summary portion of release notes in email annoncement
[10:26] <alek_s> yes
[10:27] <alek_s> so could we just summarize it and see if it is OK with everybody or
what is needed more?
[10:28] <alek_s> 1. more test ing on linux and solaris (alek)
[10:28] <nmukhi> ok
[10:28] <alek_s> 2. write release summary and detaield list of how samples were tested
[10:29] <alek_s> is there any reason to hurry to make release tomorow instead of RC4
(that will be then 
promoted to 2.0 release soon)?
[10:29] <nmukhi> on (2) we just update existing sample docs
[10:29] <alek_s> that leaves more time for testing
[10:30] <alek_s> yes
[10:32] <nmukhi> do you plan to cut RC4 and then cut 2.0 again?
[10:33] <nmukhi> or is it just renaming rc4 to 2.0?
[10:33] <alek_s> i was thinking: 2.0 == RC4 jsut renaming
[10:33] <alek_s> just renaming
[10:33] <nmukhi> ok, we'll need to make sure tags for both exist
[10:33] <nmukhi> and are the same
[10:34] <alek_s> yes
[10:36] <nmukhi> cut RC4 tomorrow and rename on Monday?
[10:37] <alek_s> that what i awas thining
[10:37] <nmukhi> i.e. promote on Monday?
[10:37] <alek_s> yes
[10:37] <alek_s> is there something else that is maybe forgotten?
[10:38] <alek_s> or anything else related to release we should tals about?
[10:38] <nmukhi> ok we'll cut RC4 here, sounds fine? tomorrow afternoon UK time?
[10:39] <alek_s> soudns fine
[10:39] <Hesham> sounds good to me
[10:39] <alek_s> should be enoiugh time to do any small chnages if needed
[10:39] <nmukhi> And there shoulod be absolutely no change at all to RC4, only then
we promote it to 2.0
[10:40] <alek_s> i hope so
[10:40] <alek_s> (or we do RC5 ...)
[10:41] <nmukhi> sounds ok?
[10:42] <nmukhi> rc5 in the worst case (I hope not)
[10:42] <Hesham> sounds good. Hopefully no RC5..
[10:42] <alek_s> that will be great to see 2.0 release real soon now :-)
[10:43] <nmukhi> ok then, are we done?
[10:44] <alek_s> i will post irc log
[10:44] <alek_s> to encourage more people to try out RC3
[10:44] <alek_s> i will also remove no longer relvant parts from RELEASE_NOTES.txt
[10:44] *** Signoff: wsif_bot (*.net *.split)
[10:44] *** Signoff: nmukhi (*.net *.split)
[10:45] <Hesham> ok.
[10:45] <antElder> ok
[10:45] <alek_s> i think we had net plit
[10:45] <antElder> (nirmal lost his connection and can't get back on, but says ok also)
[10:45] <antElder> (and Jeremy)
[10:46] <alek_s> ok
[10:46] <alek_s> then it is officially finished (short meeeting ae good meetings :-))
[10:46] <Hesham> bye
[10:46] <alek_s> bye
[10:46] <antElder> ok talk againg later, bye
"Mr. Pauli, we in the audience are all agreed that your theory is crazy.
What divides us is whether it is crazy enough to be true." Niels H. D. Bohr

View raw message