axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject Re: [WSIF/VOTE] Proposed restructure to java/lib
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:21:33 GMT
Anthony Elder wrote:

>Guys, we voted on IRC a while ago to restructure java/lib so the jars were
>in java/lib insteadm of subdirs of java/lib. This is what I propose:
>
>* move all jars from java/lib/** to java/lib and ensure version number is
>included in jar name. This is helpful to the user, who is entitled to
>rename
>them of course if their classpath gets too long

hi,

+0 to this change: as i think change is minor but may actually make
harder to work with all those jar files put into one directory (harder
to exclude jar files related to axis for example)  but i am fine with it.

>* create a single README.html in java/lib which describes each jar, what
>uses it, what the license is, where it can be downloaded from and a pointer
>to an appropriate appendix which describes the license for the jar

i think it is important to preserve as much metadata about those jars as
possible and in this case each jar file should have version number, by
what provider it is needed (unless it is shared), and be mentioned in
README that specifies exactly what is jar file for (which provider uses
it), where it can be obtained, copy of license (maybe in separate file)
and any other important information about JAR file. also for jar files
that we can not distribute (but are required like J2EE or JavaMail/JAF)
we should have in README information how to obtain  needed jar file.

it would be also useful to have s dependency list (maybe as separate
file): what WSIF providers needs what jar files (like JavaMail/JAF is
required by AXIS provider to work with attachments).

regardless of the change new users should be able to get WSIF compiled
and samples running as quickly as possible.

thanks,

alek

--
"Mr. Pauli, we in the audience are all agreed that your theory is crazy.
What divides us is whether it is crazy enough to be true." Niels H. D. Bohr