axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From James M Snell <jasn...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Mail transport
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2002 21:25:48 GMT
I was just glancing over the mail transport and I have some problems with
it.  First off, looking at MailSender, it isn't clear how received
messages are correlated with sent messages, nor does it appear as if the
act of immediately checking for the new email response immediately after
sending the request is an approach that will work given email latency.
While I think an SMTP/POP3 transport is a great idea, I'd rather see this
implemented on top of the IME stuff which provides correlation and
request/response synchronization features built in.  Doing this work now
(and pushing off the mail transport a bit) will save us much more work
later.  In short, I'm voting against this transport going into the main
code.  Please either pull it back out and put it into the proposals
directory, or filter it out of the build using the compileime option.

- James Snell
     IBM Emerging Technologies
     jasnell@us.ibm.com
     (559) 587-1233 (office)
     (700) 544-9035 (t/l)
     Programming Web Services With SOAP
         O'Reilly & Associates, ISBN 0596000952

     Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.
     Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your
     God will be with you whereever you go.    - Joshua 1:9