axis-java-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From James M Snell <jasn...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: Concerns about renaming files
Date Tue, 24 Dec 2002 18:42:13 GMT
+1 to this solution.  This is the way changes like this should be done.

- James Snell
     IBM Emerging Technologies
     jasnell@us.ibm.com
     (559) 587-1233 (office)
     (700) 544-9035 (t/l)
     Programming Web Services With SOAP
         O'Reilly & Associates, ISBN 0596000952

     Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. 
     Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your 
     God will be with you whereever you go.    - Joshua 1:9



Russell Butek/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
12/24/2002 05:08 AM
Please respond to axis-dev


To
axis-dev@xml.apache.org
cc

bcc

Subject
RE: Concerns about renaming files







Solution:
- create the new file
- keep the old file, but now it is nothing more than an empty extension of
the new file
- deprecate the old file in favor of the new file (do the individual
methods have to exist to carry the deprecation tag or can the deprecation
tag be on the class itself?)

In time, perhaps, the old file can be eliminated.

Russell Butek
butek@us.ibm.com




James M
Snell/Fresno/IBM@        To:       axis-dev@xml.apache.org
IBMUS                    cc:
Subject:  RE: Concerns about renaming files
12/23/2002 09:31
PM
Please respond to
axis-dev






>You bring up a valid concern, but I believe this case was justified

I disagree.  A confusing name is not a technical reason.  Backwards
compatibility should trump a confusing name.

Once code goes gold, you're stuck with at least some of the bad decisions
that were made prior to going gold.

- James Snell
IBM Emerging Technologies
jasnell@us.ibm.com
(559) 587-1233 (office)
(700) 544-9035 (t/l)
Programming Web Services With SOAP
O'Reilly & Associates, ISBN 0596000952

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.
Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your
God will be with you whereever you go.    - Joshua 1:9



Glen Daniels <gdaniels@macromedia.com>
12/23/2002 07:21 PM
Please respond to axis-dev


To
"'axis-dev@xml.apache.org'" <axis-dev@xml.apache.org>
cc

bcc

Subject
RE: Concerns about renaming files




The "strong technical reason to do so" was the fact that the name was
extremely confusing, in that the class had/has nothing to do with SOAP
1.2.  It was misnamed at the start, and we just ddn't get around to fixing
it before 1.0.  You bring up a valid concern, but I believe this case was
justified.

--Glen

> -----Original Message-----
> From: James M Snell [mailto:jasnell@us.ibm.com]
> Sent: Monday, December 23, 2002 5:57 PM
> To: axis-dev@xml.apache.org
> Subject: Concerns about renaming files
>
>
> I noticed today that the Axis 1.0 file
> DefaultSOAP12TypeMappingImpl was
> renamed to DefaultSOAPEncodingTypeMappingImpl in the Axis 1.1
> beta.  This
> raises an important concern about backwards compatibility.
> Before Axis'
> initial 1.0 release, renaming files wasn't that big of a
> problem, but now
> we need to be much more careful or we run the risk of
> breaking production
> level applications.
>
> We should NOT be renaming any files unless there is a strong
> technical
> reason for doing so.  Looking at the
> DefaultSOAPEncodingTypeMappingImpl
> case, the only reason seems to be semantic .. "Rename
> DefaultSOAP12TypeMappingImpl to something a little more accurate"
>
> A bit more care please.
>
> - James Snell
>      IBM Emerging Technologies
>      jasnell@us.ibm.com
>      (559) 587-1233 (office)
>      (700) 544-9035 (t/l)
>      Programming Web Services With SOAP
>          O'Reilly & Associates, ISBN 0596000952
>
>      Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.
>      Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your
>      God will be with you whereever you go.    - Joshua 1:9
>






Mime
View raw message