axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject Re: [wsif] Proposed change to WSIF service factory
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 21:11:13 GMT
Nirmal Mukhi wrote:

> I'll catch the exceptions separately and trace them. However, I think
> the correct behavior is to ignore exceptions,

hi,

do not ignore but maybe log them with Trc.exception()

> since we have a fallback default factory, and users can be informed
> through the trace about the excdeption if they care. The alternative
> is to throw a WSIFException but I don't recall other abstract factory
> implementations (in WSDL4J, JAXP and so on) throwing exceptions from
> newInstance() - that is an unnecessary thing the user would have to
> take care of.

maybe in this case it makes sense to distinguish two types of exceptions:
1. "expected" exception such as ClassNotFound that are logged but
ignored to allow default factory be created
2. other exception: also logged but allowed to propagate

thanks,

alek