axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: Getting Started Sample Doc
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 18:10:10 GMT
In general it doesn't make sense to return an interface from a SOAP
call. The issue here is that you're not actually passing an object -
you're passing a collection of data values which each end is free to
interpret in any way it wants. What good does it do to use an interface
in this situation?

If all you want is to be able to define a JavaBean-interface that
provides get/set methods for some data values, with that interface
implemented by multiple classes, you should be able to do this using
custom serialization. I haven't looked into the details of making this
work for a case like yours, but you should be able to construct JavaBean
serializers and deserializers based on a dummy class that just
implements the interface methods, then have your serializer and
deserializer basically just pass off to the JavaBean handling. On the
deserialization side you'd need to override the JavaBean handling to
construct the appropriate concrete class before doing the actual
deserialization.

This won't happen automatically using Java2WSDL and WSDL2Java, though.
The closest you could get would be by defining a dummy class that
implements your interface and using that to define WSDL and in turn
generate Java. You'd still need to extend that by adding your custom
serialization handling, though.

  - Dennis