axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Rick Rineholt" <rineh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Attachments
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:04:05 GMT
In a RPC type paradigm it seems more fitting to send/receive your
attachments as parameters than to obtain the from some other source ;
however, if that is your intent then set up your RPC call as without
attachments; then add and extract the attachments as shown in the
"TestRef.java" example and "EchoAttachmentService.java"'s "attachments"
method. Note that even in this case you will need to deal with DataHandler
since this IS how attachment's are represented in Axis's implementation.

>Hello Rick,
>On Thursday 17 October 2002 16:11, Rick Rineholt wrote:
>> Attachment parts are Axis's interface to attachments and JAF
>> objects (DataHandler) are used to represent the attachments  which
>> by in large is recommend or mandated by the JAX-RPC or JAX-M
>> specs.  When used as attachments neither of these are on the
>> "wire" so another implementation (MS) would not be aware of their
>> existence.
>I apologize for my ignorance but why do you need this DataHandler
>object? It confuses me a bit that, when creating RPC calls I have to
>define a "dummy parameter" in order to receive attachments. Why not
>just access the MessageContext?
>Best regards!
>--
>Matthias Brunner <mb@blumenstrasse.vol.at>
>PGP FP 7862 32B3 3B75 292A F76F  5042 8587 21AB 5B89 D501
>Check out http://blumenstrasse.vol.at/,mb/gpgkey.asc

Rick Rineholt
"The truth is out there...  All you need is a better search engine!"

rineholt@us.ibm.com