axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Sitze <rsi...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Stubs moving to single-threadedness
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:40:57 GMT
Glen,

if this is a significant change, +1 to work through the issues on a
branch.

-1 to changing the head.

Richard A. Sitze
IBM WebSphere WebServices Development

Glen Daniels <gdaniels@macromedia.com>
10/15/2002 09:28 AM
Please respond to axis-dev

        To:     "'Axis-Dev (E-mail)'" <axis-dev@xml.apache.org>
        cc:
        Subject:        Stubs moving to single-threadedness

Hi folks!

As discussed last week both on the list and in person with Sam & Tom, I'd
like to switch the stubs back to the way they used to be, namely each stub
having a single Call object which gets reused.  So multiple threads can
share a Service/Locator, but each stub should only be used by one thread.
This is very intuitive, I think, and has several advantages:

1) Simplicity.  The code in the stubs would become much cleaner and
smaller, making reading and debugging easier

2) Ease of use.  It becomes possible to rely on state changes in the stub,
which makes stub.addHeader(), stub.getCall(), etc. possible

3) (related to 2) This would enable a richer future design for dealing
with SOAP extensions in a user-friendly manner

I asked for comments on this last week, but didn't hear anything.  I'd
like to move forward with this - can I get a +1?

--Glen