axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Sitze <rsi...@us.ibm.com>
Subject [axis] Smart(er) Handlers
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:32:13 GMT
Given a list of handlers to load:

        H1, H2, H3

in WSDD, what I'm proposing is that the runtime query each handler as it
identifies it in a service configuration and *ask* the handler if it wants
to be loaded in the current environment:

        if (handler->isEnvironmentallyFriendly())
                put handler in chain...

Semantically, we can do the same thing by letting the handler (when
called) return immediately IF it doesn't have anything to do.

Why:
        - I'm a performance bigot, and if the handler isn't going to *do*
anything, then I don't want it called.
        - It's easy to code.

Example 1:
        A Service Handler: verify that required service/classes are
(loadable) and disable handler if not.

Example 2:
        Debug Handler: enable only if debug-mode ON

****

So, having put some effort into trying to give you an example (I can't
really SAY what my internal requirements are, now can I :-), it stricks me
that a reasonable and cool alternate might be:

        realHandler = configuredHandler->getRealHandler();
        if (realHanderl != null)
                put realHandler in chain...

[names should be changed to protect the innocent..]

Default behaviour is getRealHandler() { return this; }

So, the method getRealHandler can act as a factory...  a security handler
could return a 64 or 128 bit security scheme.

Richard A. Sitze
IBM WebSphere WebServices Development