axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Glyn Normington" <glyn_norming...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Rationale for shipping v1.0 - ALL COMMITTERS PLEASE READ!
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:20:04 GMT
+1

I had to create branches for beta 2 and beta 3 to help some users migrate
off Apache SOAP and beta 2, respectively, so it seems very likely that
we'll need to apply fixes to 1.0, possibly for similar reasons.

Glyn

                      Rick

                      Rineholt/Raleigh/        To:       axis-dev@xml.apache.org

                      IBM@IBMUS                cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: Rationale for shipping v1.0 -
ALL COMMITTERS PLEASE READ!
                      07/09/02 16:03

                      Please respond to

                      axis-dev

+1,  For a 1.0  must have only fixes,  *STABLE*  branch.

>Tom Jordahl wrote:
>> In the interest of keeping things simple, I would like to NOT do any
>> branching of the source tree unless there is a major reason for it.
>> For instance, if after we release 1.0 and probably at least 1 or 2
>> updates, we might want to make a 2.0 branch for work that is deemed
>> too destabilizing for the mainline 1.x branch.
>>
>> At least this is how I think it should be done, other may think
>> differently. :-)
>I most *DEFINATELY* want a branch at 1.0 time, but the one I would like
>to see is different than most people will presume, so give me a moment
>and hear me out.
>As a purely hypotetical example, if in the process of creating a 1.1, I
>do further work on SOAP 1.2 or Glen rewrites deserialization and then
>somebody finds a need for an emergency "hot fix" on 1.0 (a security
>hole, for example), I don't want to be in a position where we have to
>force what will amount to a nightly build onto the world.
>So, what I would like to see, preferably shortly before 1.0 ships, a 1.0
>branch.  That branch would contain exactly what is shipped with on 1.0
>and whatever immediate fixes are deemed necessary.
>This will have virtually no impact on anybody.  People will continue to
>commit to the main branch as normal.  The only time somebody will have
>to do something special is when a fix is required.
>Ideally, this would be done shortly before the release, as that will
>allow the release manager some assurance that what he is builing isn't
>changing.  But I will leave that up to the release manager to decide.
>Make sense?
>- Sam Ruby

Rick Rineholt
"The truth is out there...  All you need is a better search engine!"

rineholt@us.ibm.com