axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Owen D Burroughs" <OW...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Reuse of code between projects
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:56:45 GMT
Hi,

What is the view with regards to reusing code between Apache projects. I'd
like to reuse the base64 encoding code from the
org.apache.axis.encoding.Base64 class in a new class in WSIF. Since the
core WSIF API does not have a dependency on Axis I cannot simply use the
class directly. I notice that the Base64 class is almost identical to the
Base64 class in Apache SOAP and so I guess that reuse on an entire class is
OK? (Strangely the SOAP class has an IBM license on it but the Axis class
has an Apache License on it!)

Obviously the base64 encoding algorithm is well known and so I could resort
to writing my own implementation but the code in Axis seems a neat way of
coding it so I'd prefer to simply reuse that. Of course I would credit the
original author.

Thoughts welcomed.

Thanks,
Owen