axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Anthony Elder" <ant.el...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject [WSIF] Changing the default soap provider to use axis
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2002 07:38:56 GMT
Now that Axis has surpassed Apache SOAP in function, performance, and
interoperability, I'd like to change WSIF from using the apache soap
provider by default, to use the axis provider.

Providers can already disable themselves if jars they require are not
available, but the plugable provider code does not take this into account.
I'd like to change this so that a provider is only added to the list of
available providers if the array of supported URI's returned by
getBindingNamespaceURIs() has a length greater than zero.

Then, changing the order of the service provider META-INF file so that axis
is first would allow the following:

               - with the standard WSIF distribution and all jars available
                  axis will be used by default.

               - removing axis.jar from the classpath will disable the
                 axis provider and the apache soap provider will by
                 used by default

This would mean anyone using the standard WSIF distribution will have the
soap provider they use by default change, but simply removing axis.jar from
the classpath returns to the old apache soap provider they expect. All the
existing means documented in the WSIFPlugableProviders class for overriding
the default will still be available .

       ...ant

Anthony Elder
ant.elder@uk.ibm.com