axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Glyn Normington" <glyn_norming...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Rationale for shipping v1.0 - ALL COMMITTERS PLEASE READ!
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:40:39 GMT
Sam,

I like your suggestion and will adopt it.

Glyn

                      Sam Ruby

                      <rubys@apache.org        To:       axis-dev@xml.apache.org

                      >                        cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: Rationale for shipping v1.0 -
ALL COMMITTERS PLEASE READ!
                      05/09/02 10:46

                      Please respond to

                      axis-dev

Glyn Normington wrote:

> "Rationale for Releasing Axis 1.0
>
> Many users have requested a v1.0 so that they can work from a relatively
> stable base. Some users have even remained on Apache SOAP until v1.0 of
> Axis is available. Now Axis has surpassed Apache SOAP in function,
> performance, and quality and, in particular, has passed Sun's JAX-RPC and
> SAAJ compliance tests, we decided to ship v1.0 as it currently stands.
>
> However, this is far from the end of the road for Axis. There is more
> documentation to be written; the SOAP v1.2 spec. needs to be tracked to
> completion and implemented fully; major functional enhancements and
> architectural improvements are being considered. We particularly
encourage
> you to submit improvements to the documentation, however large or small
and
> in any format, to axis-dev@xml.apache.org.
>
> The Axis Development Team"

+1 as it stands now.

A suggestion to consider.  Function and performance are quantifiable.
Even though I know it wasn't the intention, the above could be read as a
  comment on Apache SOAP's quality.

s/quality/interoperability/

- Sam Ruby