axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <gdani...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: user id request
Date Wed, 18 Sep 2002 13:36:58 GMT

My $0.02:

I believe that there have been several other occasions in the Axis project in particular where
committers were voted in purely on interest (don't recall exact details, but can look).  We
went through a period where almost all the people involved in the initial project went away
and we were rather desperate for new blood, and so voted in people with somewhat less than
the usual "proving ground" period.  Perhaps we now have enough critical mass to be more selective,
but I'm also kind of psyched to see more people from places other than Macromedia and IBM
working on the project....

Note also that the Sonic guys *did* contribute a JMS transport, and a well-thought-out document
about future evolution towards true asynchronous processing.  That's more than we've seen
from some others before their votes, IIRC.

I'm still pretty much +0 on doing this right now, but it would be handy to have them able
to maintain the JMS stuff, and I expect they'll contribute some very valuable stuff as they
continue to work with James and the team to move Axis towards a better asynch architecture.
 I think they'll definitely be committers sometime in the not-too-distant future anyway, and
I would rather they feel at home and welcome since it came up now.

--Glen