axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Jordahl <t...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: Suggestion: Performance Anaylsis test
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2002 18:59:32 GMT
+1

Sounds great.  If we can track via the nightly build, as well as see what changes do the performance,
that would be great.

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia Server Development

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Seibert [mailto:mseibert@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 2:57 PM
To: axis-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Suggestion: Performance Anaylsis test

Hey guys,

I've heard that there have been performance problems with AXIS in the past,
such as regressions from version to version in the throughput.  I would
like to propose a test that simply analyzes the output from a test run to
look a regressions in the time it takes for the tests to complete.

This, of course, would be optional, and would be dependant on setting some
property.  The results would be stored in a flat file, of known format, and
stored in the test tree, so that you could plot the times out all by
yourself.

How does this sound?  Anyone have an objection to doing this?  The main
changes would be:
      1) Creating the new test
      2) Writing the test output lines to some given alternate file (like
test/performance/<TEST_NAME.perf>
      3) Comparing the old (most recent) test data with the new data
      4) Determining a delta (if any)
      5) Creating a ${test.reportdir}/TEST-test.report file which is an
HTML view of this data
            GREEN - Performance improvement
            BLUE - performance the same
            RED - performance degredation
      6) Blowing away those intermediate test/performance/<TEST_NAME.perf>
files
      7) Committing the changed performance data file to CVS (if we want to
make this data public, static, and trackable)

Okay, now I solicit input from you.  Let me know....

Matt Seibert                                           mseibert@us.ibm.com
IBM        External:    (512) 838-3656      Internal:   678-3656