axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From David Chappell <chapp...@sonicsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Asynchronous Transport in Apache Axis, JMS and beyond
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 14:09:32 GMT
Our lead developer on this project, Jaime Meritt, is out of the country
until 9/15.  He said he would be available for calls if we can schedule
them for early morning EDT due to a 13 hour time difference.  We could
have a productive call without him but I would prefer that he be there.
I will try to see if he can be available Tuesday 9/10 at 9:00 am EDT.
Does that work for you?

Also, on the issue of "J2EE legal" that you raised -- I'm assuming you
mean that you want to stay within the bounds of JAX-RPC API's and be TCK
compliant?  I agree that is a must and certainly wouldn't want to break
that.  However, I think that we must expand beyond that to support
asynchronous callbacks in the client API.  I haven't heard of anything
slated for J2EE 1.4 that addresses this issue, and I don't think we
should wait for post-1.4 to see what shakes out.  I think that whatever
we add for client API's with regard to asynch callback/notification
would not break TCK compliance since there is no support for it, right?

Also, what we are offering initially is a JMS transport layer that is
pluggable.  So I agree that it is complementary with your mods to the
Call object.  I see no reason to NOT put the transport into 1.0.  It is
separate enough that it won't break anything else and is only activated
when the application specifically wants to use it.  I will defer to the
wisdom of the committers on that one.

Dave