axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: 1.0 release next week
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 22:14:46 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Jordahl" <tomj@macromedia.com>
To: <axis-dev@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 12:57 PM
Subject: VOTE: 1.0 release next week

> Now that we have released an "RC" for 1.0, it is time for an official vote
on when we will release 1.0.

> Please send in you vote for releasing Axis 1.0 on or around September 13,
2002.

+1, meaning if everyone else thinks its ready then I'm happy.

The advantage of doing a full 1.0 release is that it encourages takeup, it
is no longer 'beta quality'. We have to be ready for new users in terms of
docs and rounding off at this point,  because we can expect many new users.

A call for contribs from everyone (inc axis-user) on how to use axis on
different platforms would be good; at the very least we need
-tomcat
-jetty
-weblogic
-jboss
-websphere

Doug Davis mentioned critical bugs and that is the other issue -how many
showstoppers will RC1 throw out.

Based on the ant experience, even a 3 month RC cycle still didnt find these
because (a) we added things between RCs as a result of a long release cycle
and (b) people didnt use ant1.5 till it released. So really the 1.5.1
release will be the full official release, just as 1.4.1 was the 1.4
version. I'd expect the same with Axis; it'll be Axis1.1 or Axis1.2 that
will become the mainstay product, but the 1.0 release helps everything to
stabilize.

things I'd like to do before 1.0

-finish off the ant tasks;
    -create the docs,
    -change their defaults to be end-user friendly, and fix our testcases to
cope
-understand the new configuration stuff that went in last week
    -make some notes, add it as a doc 'how to configure axis'
    -remove the isProduction() test and replace with a development-system
flag in the engine, default to being strict in production

-fix the bug httpunit is showing.
    one of the tests, either ask for a missing service or wsdl of a missing
service does not return 404.