axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From bu...@us.ibm.com
Subject RE: cvs commit: xml-axis/java buildTest.xml
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 19:06:24 GMT

I'll continue to vote -0 for a ant 1.5 for a completely nontechnical,
selfish reason:  WebSphere.  The WebSphere production build uses ant 1.4.
We treat AXIS as a prereq, so it's not an issue now; but if the day ever
came when we had to build AXIS in our production build (can't imagine why)
then we'd have to recreate the 1.4 build files.  You may ask, "Why can't
WebSphere move to ant 1.5?"  Silly question!  This is a production build
we're talking about.  Change is glacial:  inches a year unless suddenly a
whole berg breaks away.  It seems likely that this is a situation that
others besides WebSphere may face.

OK.  Enough of the party line.  If there are good, technical reasons to go
to 1.5 (and there are enough votes!) then I won't complain.  No sense
holding us back for an eventuality that may never occur.  And I DO want to
see the new test framework work.

Russell Butek
butek@us.ibm.com

Tom Jordahl <tomj@macromedia.com> on 07/23/2002 01:24:22 PM