axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Glyn Normington" <glyn_norming...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: xml-axis/java/src/org/apache/axis/wsdl/symbolTabl e TypeEntry.java
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:35:22 GMT

Tom,

>Is this really something that Apache Axis needs?

Yes, I think it makes sense to migrate as many users as possible from
Apache SOAP to Axis. I agree that java serializability is not something
you'd introduce for its own sake if there wasn't a precedent and a
requirement from a user.

>It would have been nice if:
>1. You had described the IBM issues to the list
>   before changing the code

I tried to be careful in checking with others - see [1] & [2].

>2. The code changes were documented with comments as
>   to why these object are serializable.

Fair enough. I've added a comment to MessageElement as this is the root of
the changes.

>The changes are just a little too close to being IBM specific
>to be comfortable.  Am I way off base here?

I can't say as I'm biassed :-). Other users of Apache SOAP *may* also have
exploited the java serializability of the DOM tree.

Glyn
[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=axis-dev&m=102648704711136&w=2
[2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=axis-dev&m=102710435027556&w=2