axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <gdani...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: Return type
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 16:28:53 GMT
While your point is well-taken, Russell, all Doug is suggesting is that Axis allow you to be
more lenient.  What code can you imagine "not porting to Axis" if we make this possible (as
it used to be before we JAX-RPCified)?

--Glen

-----Original Message-----
From: butek@us.ibm.com [mailto:butek@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 12:19 PM
To: axis-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: RE: Return type

The spec says:

"In terms of the specification of parameters and return value, a Call implementation class
is required to support the following cases:

• The Call implementation class determines the types of the parameters and return
value from the invocation of addParameter and setReturnType methods in the
client code. The method isParameterAndReturnSpecRequired is required to return
true in this case.

• The Call implementation class determines the types and modes of the parameters in
an implementation specific manner. For example, a Call implementation class may
determine parameter types by using Java reflection on parameters, using WSDL
service description and the configured type mapping registry. In this case, the client
code is not required to invoke any addParameter and setReturnType methods
before calling the invoke method. The method isParameterAndReturnSpec-Required
is required to return false in this case. The methods addParameter,
removeAllParameters and setReturnType may throw JAXRPCException if invoked
in this case."

This IMPLIES that Call determines the types of parameters and return EITHER by addParameter/setReturnType
OR some implementation specific manner. What you're saying is that, for AXIS, addParameter/setReturnType
are part of the implementation specific manner. I doubt most folks would read it that way.
Code written to assume an exclusive or use of addParameter/setReturnType will not port to
AXIS code if we do what you suggest.

Russell Butek
butek@us.ibm.com