axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SOAP 1.2, GET, and Axis
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2002 20:16:10 GMT
Mark Baker wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 08:57:55AM -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>>Some would say that http://example.org/part/123/quantity-in-stock would
>>be more restful.
>
> They're pretty much equivalent.

For GET perhaps, but how about PUT?  What does the "R" stand for in URI?
  Nevermind... this is not important to the task in front of us at the
moment.

>>Now as for the URIs themselves... you mentioned the word "parameterized"
>>above.  From a pure REST perspective, a URI is pretty much an opaque
>>identifier.  And given the current SOAP 1.2 spec, that's pretty much all
>>that can be assumed at this point... given that [2] "No standard means
>>of representation of arguments or method names is provided by this
>>specification."  That's why I personally don't believe that the
>>soap-response MEP will get much traction until there are standard bindings.
>
> I don't follow.  You don't need any standard bindings, because the URI
> should always be opaque to everybody but the publisher of that URI.
> What do you think cannot be accomplished without standardizing on a
> URI format?

Parameterized gets.

> So back to that ... I feel that Call.setOperationName() is the right
> method to use, if Axis is going to have any notion of GET support, and
> wants to help developers understand how to properly use it.
> Alternately, your suggestion to just hook in an InputStream into Axis
> would be a reasonable way to go, though perhaps we could talk about how
> to make that easier for a developer.  But I'd prefer setOperationName().

For consistency with JAX RPC, this probably should be a property.  And
as WSDL defines a specific meaning for the word Operation, I'd suggest
that we avoid it.  Given that the this notion is transport specific, I'd
prefer a property name like TRANSPORT_METHOD.  Yes, we refer to HTTP as
a transport... get over it ;-).

Just so that we are clear... take a look at

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-axis/java/samples/jaxrpc/GetQuote1.java

The changes necessary to this sample to use HTTP GET would be:

1) Insert an additional call.setProperty() call.
2) Remove argument from call.invoke.

The presumption being that the TargetEndpointAddress already has the
desired stock symbol encoded in it, using whatever scheme that server
has specified.

Sound about right to you?

- Sam Ruby