axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Baker <>
Subject Re: SOAP 1.2, GET, and Axis
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2002 18:12:41 GMT
On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 08:57:55AM -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Some would say that would
> be more restful.

They're pretty much equivalent.

> Note: I have read Roy's thesis, and am following many of the discussions
> of people who consider themselves as disciples.  Many seem to diverge
> greatly from Roy's definition.  For example, Roy has said [1] "There's
> no basis for 'everything must use GET' in Web architecture. There is for
> 'use an URI for everything that's important'".

I'm not suggesting GET be used for everything, only for safe retrievals
of information, including SOAP envelopes.

> Where most SOAP applications diverge from this principle is that they
> decide that only the service is important (this is often referred to as
> a Service Oriented Architecture).
> Now as for the URIs themselves... you mentioned the word "parameterized"
> above.  From a pure REST perspective, a URI is pretty much an opaque
> identifier.  And given the current SOAP 1.2 spec, that's pretty much all
> that can be assumed at this point... given that [2] "No standard means
> of representation of arguments or method names is provided by this
> specification."  That's why I personally don't believe that the
> soap-response MEP will get much traction until there are standard bindings.

I don't follow.  You don't need any standard bindings, because the URI
should always be opaque to everybody but the publisher of that URI.
What do you think cannot be accomplished without standardizing on a
URI format?

>   - - -
> This discussion is interesting, but I sense that we agree at this level
> on everything that is important.  The next question is how to expose
> this to the developer using Axis.

For sure, and I started with that initiailly.  But then some of the
suggestions I was seeing (Glen's, primarily) were going in a direction
that I didn't see would help guide developers to understanding how to
use GET with SOAP.

So back to that ... I feel that Call.setOperationName() is the right
method to use, if Axis is going to have any notion of GET support, and
wants to help developers understand how to properly use it.
Alternately, your suggestion to just hook in an InputStream into Axis
would be a reasonable way to go, though perhaps we could talk about how
to make that easier for a developer.  But I'd prefer setOperationName().

Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.

View raw message