axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Baker <dist...@acm.org>
Subject Re: SOAP 1.2, GET, and Axis
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2002 21:15:19 GMT
Hey Glen,

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 04:56:23PM -0400, Glen Daniels wrote:
> > How about Call.setOperationName( "GET" ) or similar?
>
> Bear with me here, but this is one of the problems I have with this whole new MEP thing.
 GET/POST/etc. are *HTTP* methods.

Sure, but they're the same as any other method that goes into
Call.setOperationName().  i.e. they're application layer semantics.

>  Yes, it's called "WebMethod" in SOAP 1.2, but we all know that it's really about using
HTTP, and I think that does a disservice to the protocol-neutrality of SOAP.  I would much
prefer something like Call.setIdempotentOperation(true), and then let the binding figure out
that in the HTTP case, that means you use GET.

Did you get my reply[1] to Stuart, and Noah's "+1"?

The method cannot be derived from the MEP.

> I agree with Sam that there are still serious issues about how exactly you construct
useful URLs which mean useful things, but that's another issue.

 [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2002Jul/0016.html

MB