axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: xml-axis/java buildTest.xml
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 19:30:34 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: <butek@us.ibm.com>
To: <axis-dev@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 11:14 AM
Subject: RE: cvs commit: xml-axis/java buildTest.xml

>I dunno.  I'm -0 on requiring ant 1.5.  A lot of folks might be currently
>using 1.4.  It's not particularly old.  And it might be a nuisance for some
>folks to upgrade.  Does it really buy us much?

yes.

end users get more functionality, ant working on java1.4/winxp, many other
bug fixes.

Axis gets better java1.4 support (if wanted), <serverdeploy>, various new
conditions, <setproxy> to set up the http proxy in the current VM,
<wsdltodotnet>. There are also some fundamental fixes to various things,
fixes we know doesnt break ant today or Sam would have mentioned them.

What you lose is

a) end users have to upgrade, effort and risk to existing projects -but only
if they want to build Axis, and dont keep ant.jar in SCM for their main
projects (which I tend to do)

b) IDEs that host ant1.4.1 internally wont be able to build ant from the
IDE.

(b) is an issue now that everything ships with ant1.4.1; the only 1.5 IDE
out there is probably build 636 of IntelliJ IDEA 3.0, which is well worth
the download (and $$). But upgrading the free ides incurs no cost either...I
am still waiting for a release version of Netbeans that handles
ant/xp/java1.4

Nb, Sun's web service TK ships with a version of 1.4.1 patched for XP; if
they'd given us a getenv() call that worked none of this would ever have
been an issue.

-Steve