axis-java-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: log4j
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:39:05 GMT
Thank you for your comments.  I'm the one responsible for migrating AXIS to
the commons-logging API.  Let me first acknowledge that recent builds of
the commons-logging API DO tend to (unnaturally) favor Log4j.  However, the
fundamental principle of being able to remove Log4j is still available.

If you are interested in pursuing AXIS further, or in helping us to improve
logging implementation pluggability, please let us know more detail.
Specific problems with the integration guide & user's guide related to
removing Log4j?  Did you override the Log implementation, or the

Thanks, <ras>

Richard A. Sitze
CORBA Interoperability & WebServices
IBM WebSphere Development

                      Alice Byrne
                      <Alice@ByrneLith         To:
            >                   cc:
                                               Subject: log4j
                      06/23/2002 12:07
                      Please respond
                      to axis-dev

   The AXIS toolkit is very impressive and we used it up until the java
policies got in the way running stubs from within applets. Apparently, it's
not a trivial matter to suppress the property reads being performed by
log4j. Additionally, it's not practical to remove log4j from AXIS. In
short, we abandoned AXIS for the simpler requirement of transmitting XML
over HTTP. Actually, it's fairly trivial to mimic SOAP using the
HttpUrlConnection class (we authored a SOAP server and realize there's more
to consider then just XML over transport.)

   I feel it's necessary to give you a heads up about our experience. We're
using SOAP for a commercial solution in the broadcast and made a reasonable
commitment to AXIS. We need to learn more about log4j and its benefits;
however, it did get in the way of production.

   AXIS is a great a product. By the way, the stub generator is very

William Byrne

Manager Interactive Engineering Development
Chyron, Corp.

View raw message