axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Jordahl <t...@macromedia.com>
Subject Servlet engine (was RE: AxisServletBase)
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:39:12 GMT
Steve,

There was a person who was working on a more functional web based admin (Alan) and he proposed
including the Jetty servlet engine in with the axis kit so his jsp pages could be used and
tested and to facilitate getting web services up and running quickly without having to install
and configure Tomcat.  I was very supportive of this idea, but he seemed to have lost interest
(or time).

What servlet engine would you use for the testing?  How would it be integrated in to the tree?

I am still very much in favor of us testing AxisServlet more than SimpleAxisServer, which
is what we test now.

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Loughran [mailto:steve_l@iseran.com]
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 3:50 AM
To: axis-dev
Subject: AxisServletBase

I have just committed a new class that is intended to be a re-usable base
class for AxisServlet, AdminServlet and any other servlets that need access
to the AxisEngine.

I have not committed the modified versions of AxisServlet and AdminServlet
that use it yet, although I have them on my laptop. I wanted to get the new
class into SCM first, while I sort out the others.

One big issue is that this refactoring exposes a problem that has always
been in the code: the engine.cleanup() stuff in the Servlet.destroy() method
relied upon there being no other references to the engine around, but as the
AdminServlet was getting a reference through the back door, that wasnt true.
It's just more explicit now. Also the construction of the engine was only
synchronised to the servlet, when it should be webapp wide, hence the sync
of context now.

Ideally I'd like to use the servlet 2.3 lifecycle stuff, rather than servlet
destructor instead, but guess everyone is still supporting servlet 2.2,
right?

The other big issue is that I dont see a setup for testing the servlets
inside axis yet. I can do it as part of my own project, but that is a double
build and time-wasting. I am going to create a servlet subdir of test and
put in a full webapp deploy followed by http unit test gets of the servlets.
Once that is done we can add tests for jws working, servlets generating the
faults we need, happyaxis.jsp being happy, etc. I say we, though can start
it off having the appropriate code to hand.

After that comes load tests.