axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Jordahl <t...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: Date vs Calendar roundtripping
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 19:33:00 GMT

Russell,

If you haven't got this on this list of issues yet, I would put it there. Since users are
reporting bugs against our lack of Schema type support, I would love to get a JAX-RPC opinion
on this round trip issue.

Although I believe the RI doesn't generate WSDL, they embedded it in the generated jar file,
so they don't really have this problem with their implementation.  :-(

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia

-----Original Message-----
From: butek@us.ibm.com [mailto:butek@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 8:25 AM
To: axis-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: TCK: Date vs Calendar roundtripping

This slipped through my cracks. I think we have a problem with the spec, and therefore the
TCK.

The spec says:
Date -> xsd:dateTime
Calendar -> xsd:dateTime

But in the other direction:
xsd:dateTime -> Calendar

So if we start with Date, when we roundtrip we end up with Calendar.

Right now it works for us because AXIS maps:
Date -> xsd:date
Calendar -> xsd:dateTime

But we're not following the spec.

HOWEVER, the TCK has methods with Date parameters and others with Calendar parameters that
they expect to round trip. I'm inclined to tell them to throw the Date methods out of the
test because they can't be roundtripped.

Russell Butek
butek@us.ibm.com