axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <>
Subject RE: ClassCastException and handlers
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:44:32 GMT

JAX-RPC Handlers and Axis Handlers are different beasties, which is a bit of a shame, but
makes some sense too.  There is no mechanism in JAX-RPC by which you actually connect Handlers
to your system on the server side, for one thing - the only thing it specifies is how to programatically
register client-side Handlers via the HandlerRegistry.

JSR-109 is coming out with a deployment descriptor syntax for registering (JAX-RPC) Handlers
on the server side, and that will be the way you get those into the system.  There are also
some very limiting rules right now in the JSR-109 spec about what Handlers can do and when
they run.  So what we on the Axis team will likely do is provide a JSR-109-style hook for
deploying JAX-RPC Handlers when that goes final, and that's how you'll use JAX-RPC Handlers.

If you want the functionality/configurability of Axis Handlers, you should use the org.apache.axis.Handler

View raw message