axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From di...@covalent.net
Subject RE: too many "inactive" committers
Date Wed, 29 May 2002 23:08:08 GMT

On Wed, 29 May 2002 costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> On Wed, 29 May 2002, Glyn Normington wrote:
> > thoroughly understood any change I commit or is it reasonable to put some
> > trust in the submitter of the change?
..
> Most of the time I trust the submitter - based on the assumption that
> he spent the time to write the patch and understand what's happening,
> so probably he know more than I do on that area. You can ask questions -
> and if someone more familiar with the code sees a problem he can
> complain.

Hidden in here I see a very strong argument to leave 'dormant' committers
around - what I personally do on some project is basically this: watch for
commits into some specific crufty bits of code I know I am familliar with
(propably because I wrote them eons ago) - and pitch in when people fiddle
with it - when and if needed. But stay out of the way when people commit
to sections totally out of my league. Which is 99% of the time.

Dw.