axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From cost...@covalent.net
Subject RE: too many "inactive" committers
Date Tue, 28 May 2002 17:48:02 GMT
On Tue, 28 May 2002, Tom Jordahl wrote:

> I am +1 to changing the web page at the least.  I just took a look and
> I was surprised at the sheer number of people who AREN'T working on the
> code. :-(

I think tomcat ( or even HTTPD ) has an even higher number of people
who are not active, and that's a very good sign IMHO - we are successfull
if we are able to survive when past contributors are no longer
active. Almost all tomcat components are maintained and developed by
other people than the original authors.

On the other side each old commiter is wellcomed to come back at any time
to commit code ( or just share opinions ) - and even if he is not doing
so, he should remain in the list of people who created the project
( even if the unix account is disabled for inactivity ).

I had similar experiences as Alex, my last patch to axis was ignored -
and I think it was quite usefull. I got a patch in only after pinging
Sam personally.

If you think you need 'fresh blood', try beeing more agressive in
getting more people involved.

Costin