axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard Sitze" <rsi...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: SerializationContext/DeserializationContext cleanup?
Date Thu, 09 May 2002 19:47:48 GMT
+1 on keeping separate interfaces.

Richard A. Sitze            rsitze@us.ibm.com
CORBA Interoperability & WebServices
IBM WebSphere Development

                      R J Scheuerle

                      Jr/Austin/IBM@IB         To:      axis-dev@xml.apache.org

                      MUS                      cc:

                                               Subject: Re: SerializationContext/DeserializationContext
cleanup?
                      05/09/2002 02:40

                      PM

                      Please respond

                      to axis-dev

Generally, separating interfaces from implementation is a good thing.

For one, it gives us the opportunity to make this a pluggable piece in the
future.

Also it establishes better boundaries between the components.  Before I
made these changes,
there was a lot of interactions between components using public or package
visible fields.

I feel that the Context classes are a lot better off (and remain better
organized) now that we have
interfaces.  I would vote -1 to removing the interfaces.

Rich Scheuerle
XML & Web Services Development
512-838-5115  (IBM TL 678-5115)

   Glen Daniels
   <gdaniels@macromedia.com>             To:        "'Axis-Dev (E-mail)'"
                                 <axis-dev@xml.apache.org>
                                         cc:
   05/09/2002 01:51 PM                   Subject:
   Please respond to axis-dev    SerializationContext/DeserializationCont
                                 ext cleanup?

Does anyone (Rich?) have any real reasons why we have SerializationContext
and SerializationContextImpl?  I know the JAX-RPC SerializationContext is
an interface we have to implement, but it seems to me we could just as
easily (and much more conveniently) have axis.encoding.SerializationContext
be a class instead of introducing yet another interface.

Same holds for DeserializationContext/DeserializationContextImpl.

Do you think these are useful + important points of extensibility?  Are
there really going to be other implementations?

If we could coalesce these guys, that would make my life a happier place.

--Glen