axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "R J Scheuerle Jr" <sc...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: logging question: catch (Exception) throw AxisFault
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 17:03:15 GMT
The development doc needs to be changed to reflect the consensus.

Here are some rules to get the discussion moving:

} catch (Exception e) {
    // Log or not log ?
    throw new AxisFault(...);
}

1) If the AxisFault is simply wrapping another exception, then nothing
should be logged (except perhaps debug).

2) If the AxisFault is not wrapping another exception, or if a
non-AxisFault message is thrown, at least an info message should be
issued.

3) There will be any deviations to these rules.  The deviations should be
clearly defined in a comment which indicates the reason for the deviation.
(This will prevent the code from being changed back and forth.)

Rich Scheuerle
XML & Web Services Development
512-838-5115  (IBM TL 678-5115)

Russell Butek/Austin/IBM@IBMUS